Never let evil defeat you, but defeat evil with good. (Rom 12:21)
When I break this down – this surely means that if I’m being tempted to 'do', or 'speak', or 'act' in a way that isn’t good for me, then instead of just throwing up my hands and shouting “stuff it, this is bigger than me,” I can rather choose to 'do', 'speak', or 'act' in a way that produces something good – especially if it's to the benefit of someone else!?
Maybe I can 'do' something practical for them - perhaps take them for a coffee and 'hear' their struggles ...?
Or, maybe I can just stop whatever I'm doing / thinking / bitching, and take time out to ‘pray’ for someone who I know is going through their own temptations?
Or maybe I can just ‘call’ them ... telling them that they were in my heart and actually encouraging them?
Or maybe I can combine them all by thinking up something special that will show my love for them - something that I wish someone would one day do for me.
- This actually works to the good in two great ways:
- (Jesus speaking) “Here is a simple rule of thumb for behaviour: Ask yourself what you want people to do for you; then grab the initiative and do it for them! If you only love the lovable, do you expect a pat on the back? Run-of-the-mill sinners do that. If you only help those who help you, do you expect a medal? Garden-variety sinners do that. If you only give for what you hope to get out of it, do you think that’s charity? The stingiest of pawnbrokers does that.
- (Jesus speaking) "
- I was hungry and you fed me,
- I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
- I was homeless and you gave me a room,
- I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
- I was sick and you stopped to visit,
- I was in prison and you came to me.
- (And we're going to say), ‘Master, what are you talking about? When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink? And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?’ Then the King will say, ‘I’m telling the solemn truth: Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me—you did it to me.’
Holy Spirit, please lead me into how I can defeat the evil that comes against me and my brothers and sisters - Your body, your Bride. Amen. ❤️